Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Jasper Lindell

Transport Canberra confident it can finally find new ticket system

The ACT government wants a new public transport ticket system in operation by 2023, to replace the 'outdated' MyWay system, pictured. Picture: Elesa Kurtz

The ACT government is confident there is enough interest from suppliers to run a competitive process to deliver a long-awaited public transport ticket and information system, which will permanently replace cash fares and allowing passengers to pay with their smartphones and bank cards.

The two-stage expression of interest process has opened to potential suppliers, after discussions with a provider fell through earlier this year and further delayed the replacement system.

A replacement for the MyWay system, which began operation in April 2011, was first flagged four years ago and was supposed to be introduced before the first stage of light rail began taking passengers.

Transport Minister Chris Steel on Friday said the new process was a chance to remove barriers to people using public transport and improve the availability of real-time data to passengers.

"We want to work with an innovative and forward-thinking supplier on the future of public transport ticketing and passenger information. A great ticketing system can improve the way Canberrans get around our city and make it as easy as possible for people to integrate public transport into their travel mix," Mr Steel said.

Mr Steel said the new system would make travel by public transport more convenient for regular users and occasional passengers.

"Through this tender process, we will work closely with participating providers to ensure the chosen ticketing system supports a more accessible, inclusive and easy-to-use public transport system for all Canberrans," he said.

Documents provided to potential suppliers show the ACT government expects the new system to be in operation for at least a decade, which will need to provide precise, real-time information about the public transport network and allow access to third-party app developers.

Potential providers have also been asked to show how the ticketing system could be extended to allow payments for taxis, rideshares, park'n'ride facilities and rental bicycles.

MORE A.C.T. POLITICS NEWS:

Transport Canberra said in the pretender consultation process the coronavirus pandemic was a "unique opportunity to accelerate a cashless ticketing system".

"Given the forced implementation under the current pandemic environment, we have revised the scope to remove the requirement for providers to accommodate cash transactions, allowing the territory to move to 100 per cent cashless public transport system as well as a future-focused cost-effective state-of-the-art ticketing solution," consultation documents said.

There were 20 million trips taken on the ACT's public transport system in the 2018-19 financial year, before the Covid pandemic prompted a significant downturn in passenger numbers.

The ACT government has flagged it will encourage Canberra's major employers to allow more flexible working hours to spread out peak-hour demands on the public transport network, as part of efforts to increase passenger numbers in the post-Covid period.

The recovery plan, released in late April, includes a review of fares to find ways to incentivise more off-peak travel and gradually increase passenger numbers as part of emissions reduction efforts.

Revenue from fares was down by $9.3 million in the last financial year, a fall of about 40 per cent.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.