Reports suggesting Nottingham Forest are close to signing Emiliano Marcondes are understood to be wide of the mark.
The Reds have been linked with a move for the free agent attacking midfielder, who has been released by Brentford following their promotion to the Premier League, with suggestions they “were amongst those in talks” over securing a deal.
West Bromwich Albion, QPR, Barnsley and Norwich City are also said to be interested, while teams in France and Germany have reportedly put forward offers.
This week it was claimed Forest are closing in on the 26-year-old’s signature, but NottinghamshireLive understands that is not the case.
Friendlies confirmed
Nottingham Forest have added two pre-season friendlies against Premier League opposition to their summer schedule.
The Reds returned to training this week ahead of the upcoming Championship campaign, when they will be targeting a promotion push.
And they have confirmed a couple more fixtures to their friendly programme as they build up to the competitive action in August.
Chris Hughton’s men will travel to face Aston Villa in a behind closed doors clash at their Bodymoor Heath training ground on Wednesday, July 28, 1pm kick-off.
Legend's rant
It is fair to say Gareth Bale did not take too kindly to being asked about his future minutes after Wales had been dumped out of Euro 2020.
Millions watched on as the much-discussed Real Madrid forward groaned at the question and exited stage left.
So step forward, John McGovern, who abruptly ended his interview with Nottinghamshire Live with a more good-natured 'thank you very much' after describing modern football punditry as 'bull****' and some players as actors.
Fortunately, McGovern was in good form as he abruptly left to sign autographs for waiting fans at the Samantha Birtles Trophy on Sunday.
Dream move
Mention the name Gil Dias at Nottingham Forest, and it still sparks a sense of panic.
THAT cameo appearance at Norwich City has gone down in infamy at the City Ground, proving the abiding memory of the winger’s loan spell.
Dias arrived on the banks of the Trent in the summer of 2018 with hopes high. He was regarded as one of Portugal’s brightest young talents.
But, aged just 21 at the time, he struggled to deliver on that potential.
Since then, however, he has benefitted from the passing of time and gaining more experience. And this week, he was officially unveiled as a Benfica player, penning a contract until 2026, having made the move from Monaco in a deal said to be worth about €1.5m (roughly £1.2m).