Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Mark Reddie and Paige Cockburn

Couple found dead after 'dangerous and destructive' bushfires strike northern NSW

Spot fires along Ewingar Road.

A couple has died as part of the bushfires that ripped through northern NSW earlier this week, police have confirmed.

The bodies of Robert Lindsey, 77, and Gwenda Hyde, 68, were found inside a home on Deadman Creek Road in Coongbar.

"Unfortunately, a short time ago, two human remains have been identified," Superintendent Toby Lindsay, from Richmond Police LAC said.

"The coroner has been advised by detectives of these deaths."

The pair had been together for three years and were well-respected members of the wider Ewingar community.

They had a number of livestock at their property that either did not survive or were seriously injured, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said.

The area around Deadman Creek Road was burnt by a fire at Long Gully on Tuesday, as four separate blazes raged within about 100 kilometres of each other in the state's north.

On Wednesday, police said they were investigating a "suspicious" fire that caused widespread damage and destruction in nearby Rappsville on Tuesday.

However, the Long Gully fire is not being treated as suspicious.

Early NSW Rural Fire Service investigations indicate it was started by a lightning strike on September 5.

RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the deaths were a "tragic, horrible" outcome.

"[It's] a truly sobering reminder of the ferocity of these dangerous and destructive fires that we have seen burning across northern NSW for months now," he said.

Mr Fitzsimmons said the property the remains were found in was very isolated and surrounded by pine forest.

"You're not talking about a property in a village, sharing neighbours," he said.

A total of 29 homes in several areas were destroyed by the fires, which took hold in hot, windy conditions on Tuesday.

The RFS said no other people remained unaccounted for.

Dozens of fires are still burning across the state.

Since July a total of 400,000 hectares have been razed by bushfires across the north-east of NSW.

Mr Fitzsimmons said that was twice the area burnt during the same period last year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.