Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Will Stewart & Martin Domin

Tragic boxer Maxim Dadashev 'suffered stroke' but carried on fighting

Maxim Dadashev suffered a stroke during his fatal with with Subriel Matias but fought on.

Dadashev was pulled out of the fight by his trainer Buddy McGirt at the end of the 11th round.

The 28-year-old collapsed as he left the ring and was rushed to hospital where part of his skull was removed to ease the pressure on his brain.

But efforts to save the dad-of-one proved in vain and he passed away on Tuesday.

His wife Elizaveta Apushkina was on holiday at the time but rushed from Turkey to Washington to be by his bedside.

And she revealed her husband's surgeon said he had suffered a stroke during the bout.

Maxim Dadashev sustained the injuries in his fight against Subriel Matias (Getty Images)

"Do you want to know what is true grit, strength of mind and the highest will for victory?," she said.

"What it means to be a warrior?

"Watch this fight and when you ask yourself how Max, with his defence skills got hit with so many punches, know that he had already suffered a stroke, according to doctor who operated on him.

"And he continued the fight feeling horrific, unbearable pain, losing orientation.

"But he did not give up.

"He rose up from his knees a million times, went forward and never gave up."

Relatives of the boxer are planning to bring his body back to Russia.

“There are currently no obstacles for sending the body to Russia,” said a source.

His remains would be buried at Peterhof, near St Petersburg, where he lived.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.