Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Emma Grimshaw

5G protest to go ahead in Bristol this weekend

Anti-5G campaigners are gathering in Bristol this weekend.

The protesters are planning to meet on College Green on Saturday (January 25) between 11am and 12pm.

They said they will then move to other locations including: Park Street, Millennium Square, Pero Bridge, Broadmead, Gloucester Road, Prince Street Bridge and Bedminster.

4G, which allows faster phone data speeds, has been operational in Bristol since July 3 on the Vodafone network.

More than 4,000 people signed a petition urging Bristol City Council to switch off the network over radiation fears last year.

Their worries were debated in City Hall but dismissed by councillor Tom Brook as 'conspiracy theorists fuelled by fake news and misinformation'.

Despite the council's refusal, demonstrators have vowed to continue to raise the public profile of the technology.

Organiser Philippa Winkler said: "It's quite a common reaction to dismiss it as conspiracy theorists but lots of scientists and doctors are worried about this.

"In the absence of concrete evidence it's safest to take a precautionary approach."

Get all your local traffic news, powered by In Your Area:

For the latest news in and around Bristol, visit and bookmark Bristol Live's homepage.  

You can  follow us on Twitter here and on Facebook here and here.

You can also join our traffic and travel, crime and parenting Facebook groups.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.