NAKHON RATCHASIMA: Two popular tourist stop owners in Wang Nam Khieo district are requesting more time to defend their right to use the land they occupy.
Flora Park and Faprathan Farm had until yesterday to dispute the Agriculture Land Reform Office's ruling that they are not eligible to use the Sor Por Kor land, which is exclusively reserved for use by poor farmers. The provincial agricultural land reform office had given them notices to cease operating on Oct 22.
Surachai Yutthachana, head of the provincial agricultural land reform office, said yesterday that the companies had submitted letters through their representatives asking for a time extension until early next month to prove their eligibility.
They said they needed more time to counter the accusations made by the authorities, Mr Surachai said.
A decision would be made this week, Mr Surachai said.
Flora Park encompasses 103 rai of land and Faprathan Farm covers 279 rai. They are draw cards for tourists visiting the district, offering stunning scenery and fresh air.
The issue came to light last month when local residents filed a complaint regarding the illegal use of land with Deputy Agriculture Minister Wiwat Salyakamthorn and linked powerful figures at the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry to the land's occupation.
A subsequent check found that both Flora Park and Faprathan Farm are located on Sor Por Kor land.
Mr Surachai said that the land reform office is considering whether to seek financial compensation from the two companies for illegally using the land, and the seizure of both companies' assets.