MYSURU: The government’s decision to scrap night curfew will boost the beleaguered tourism and hospitality sector, which has been badly hit by the pandemic.
Stakeholders say they expect business to pick up during the Christmas-New Year season, with the only fear being a possible third wave of infections. Several Western countries are already battling a new wave.
On Saturday, barely 24 hours after the government’s order was issued, hotels in Mysuru saw a surge in clientele. “One day later and there is a visible difference,” said Narayana Gowda, president, Mysuru Hotel Owners’ Association. “We welcome the move which we expect will help the ailing tourism and hospitality sector.”
Industry stakeholders say, compared to 2020, advance inquiries for week-long holiday packages during Christmas and New Year have improved this year.
“We are getting a good number of inquiries, but we are being cautious while accepting bookings,” said BG Ananthashayana, president of Coorg Homestay Association. “Last year, New Year and Christmas holiday season was dull. Homestays in Chikkamagaluru, and Shivamogga are also witnessing a similar trend.
Meanwhile, demand to resume the winter festival in front of the palace has been growing. Stakeholders are demanding more activities to promote tourism not only in Mysuru but also in all the southern districts.
“The winter festival added colour to Christmas-New Year tourism. It drew a huge number of tourists. The government must hold the event this year,” said BS Prashanth, president, Federation of Mysuru Organisations. But he added: “The district administration and the government should not change decisions at the last minute. Mysuru should be a 24x7 city. If they want to regulate Christmas and New Year celebrations, they must take a clear stand today itself. Else it will affect tourists and tour organisers.”
When contacted, Bagadi Gautham, deputy commissioner said no decision has been taken on holding the winter festival as yet.