Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Matt Davies

Tottenham striker Harry Kane 'ready to go' when the Premier League returns

Tottenham talisman Harry Kane insists he is raring to go when the Premier League returns after making a full recovery from a long-term hamstring injury.

Kane has not played since undergoing surgery on a ruptured hamstring tendon suffered on New Year's Day, but has been afforded precious time to recover with the Premier League suspended since March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The England captain follows the likes of Moussa Sissoko, Steven Bergwijn and Heung-min Son, all of whom have now recovered from respective injuries.

The Premier League is now targetting a return to action in June, and despite players returning to individual sessions at their training grounds, group training is yet to resume.

Although acknowledging the future remains uncertain, Kane insists he will be ready if and when football does return.

"I'm pretty much as good as I can be," Kane told Sky Sports News. "I was at a good stage before the lockdown. I was pretty much doing everything except from training with the team.

"Since the lockdown's happened, I've continued doing sessions online with the team, a bit of specific work where I do my own stuff for the hamstring and things like that, but pretty much doing everything else the boys are doing.

"Then obviously the last week or so we've been able to go in and do one-on-one training with one member of staff on the pitch. It's been nice to get out and start touching a ball again.

"Whenever the season does continue, whether it's next month, or two months, three months, I should be ready to go from the first game."

Kane also provides an update on Tottenham and England team-mate Dele Alli who reported for training on Thursday despite being "shaken up" by an armed robbery on Wednesday morning.

"I text him the day after it happened just to see how he was," Kane said. "As normal I think he was a bit in shock and a bit angry about the situation but thankfully no one has hurt, no family was hurt, during the process, which is the main thing really.

"I think he's okay, a little bit shaken up, but I guess he's getting on with it."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.