Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Callum Rice-Coates

Tottenham evening headlines as Harry Winks transfer claim is made and Spurs' statement signing

Here are the Tottenham evening headlines for Sunday, November 22.

Shearer praises Mourinho’s ‘brilliant’ tactics in Spurs win

Alan Shearer has hailed Tottenham’s approach in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Manchester City.

Jose Mourinho’s side had just 34 per cent possession but were disciplined and compact throughout.

And Spurs were clinical on the break, with Son Heung-min and Giovani Lo Celso scoring in either half to seal the points.

“Spurs were tactically brilliant,” Shearer said on BBC’s Match of the Day. “They were deadly on the counter-attack, defended superbly well and were very well organised. With those two world-class forwards, they looked very, very impressive.

“Yes, they got men behind the ball and were narrow and compact, but they were very happy to let City to pass it, force them out wide and allow them to have crosses into the box that the two defenders could get rid of all afternoon. They did that all afternoon.

Jose Mourinho on worrying Alderweireld update, Lo Celso sub and Kane

“It wasn’t just about defending, the movement of Kane, the defenders left space in behind and Son’s finish was excellent. Have a look at the men they committed forward on the counter, five or six of them got into the box to support Son and Kane at times.

“Defensively the balls out wide weren’t a problem for Spurs all afternoon. City were passing it and had most of the possession but didn’t do anything with it. That was a constant, which is a credit to Tottenham. They were absolutely brilliant, I thought. Man City had a plan A, they didn’t have anything else and Spurs coped with it admirably.

“Tottenham had one cross - City had 19 but they didn’t do anything with them and Spurs were quite content to let them get it out wide and put it in.”

Spurs midfielder tipped to join Newcastle

Former England striker Kevin Phillips has claimed Harry Winks could join Newcastle United in January.

The 24-year-old has been on the periphery at Spurs this season, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Moussa Sissoko in strong form.

And Phillips has suggested Newcastle could be the perfect destination for Winks, who is believed to be growing uneasy about his lack of game time.

“Winks wants to go and play football,” he told Football Insider.

“Newcastle is a huge, huge club and it is an area that Steve Bruce has been looking at.

“He brought Jeff Hendrick in and he has done a good job for them but Harry Winks is a top player.

“I could see that one happening. Maybe the boy would like to get away from London and try somewhere else.

“He could go there, play football and impress. It would give him a real fighting chance of getting in that squad next summer.”

Ex-Spurs captain claims Bale signing is title statement

Former Tottenham player Gary Mabbutt has labelled the summer signing of Gareth Bale a statement of intent.

The winger returned to Spurs on loan from Real Madrid seven years after his then record move to the Spanish capital.

Bale has been eased into action by Jose Mourinho so far, but Mabbutt, speaking to This Is Futbol, highlighted the importance of the Welshman’s arrival.

“The re-signing of Gareth Bale, I think, made a big difference. I mean, I’m not sure how people can understand it within the dressing room, but the dynamics change completely,” he said.

“The attitude changes, it shows the Premier League that Tottenham are serious with their intentions of going for the title this season by bringing in Gareth Bale and the other players we’ve brought in.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.