Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Greg Johnson

Tottenham chief explains the big problem behind Mauricio Pochettino's frustrated transfer plans

Players do not want to leave Tottenham Hotspur to join other clubs outside of London that can not offer European football according to the club's executive director Donna-Maria Cullen.

Mauricio Pochettino is understood to have wanted to pursue a ruthless overhaul of the squad in the summer only for one senior member of the team to be moved on in Kieran Trippier.

The England international left for Atletico Madrid in Spain while other players expected to be sold remained on the books as Spurs made four first team signings.

In January, Christian Eriksen left for Inter after having declared his intentions to find a new challenge before the season began. Danny Rose also left to join Newcastle United on loan while Victor Wanyama was sold to Major League soccer franchise Montreal Impact earlier in March.

Pochettino was dismissed as manager in November to be replaced by Jose Mourinho who signed Gedson Fernandes on loan from Benfica in January following a serious injury to Moussa Sissoko.

Speaking in a special meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust on March 2, Cullen explained that Spurs face a problem when it comes to getting rid of deadwood from their squad.

As a London-based club that regularly play in the Champions League or Europa League she said that it can be difficult to convince footballers to make the leave for a lesser side in a different location.

The director blamed "minimum expectations" over what players become accustomed to when playing for Tottenham and living in London.

In 2019, the club also opened one of the most modern stadiums in world sport, built on the site of their former home, the historic White Hart Lane.

Pochettino has been linked with a number of jobs since leaving Spurs in November, including Arsenal after the sacking of Unai Emery.

There has also been rumours of interest in the Argentinian's services from Bayern Munich, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

When asked about his future plans at the launch of LaLiga TV in January, he said: "England and Spain are the two best leagues in the world."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.