Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Top U.S. general urges Google to work with military

FILE PHOTO - U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman General Joseph Dunford attends a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., June 18, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top U.S. general said on Thursday that it was "inexplicable" that technology giants like Alphabet Inc's Google <GOOGL.O> did not want to work with the Pentagon even as they seek out business with China, where companies have less freedom than in the United States.

"We are the good guys and it's inexplicable to me that we would make compromises in order to advance our business interests in China where we know that freedoms are restrained, where we know that China will take intellectual property from companies," Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said during an event.

A Google spokeswoman for China issues did not immediately respond to a request to comment. Google Chief Executive Sundar Pichai has previously said the company has invested in China for years and plans to continue to do so, but that the company also was continuing to work with the U.S. government on projects in health care, cybersecurity and other fields.

FILE PHOTO: A U.S. Marine is assessed utilizing a communications radio with real time on screen GPS location during Urban Advanced Naval Technology Exercises 2018 (ANTX18) at Camp Pendleton, California, U.S. March 20, 2018. Picture taken March 20, 2018. U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Cutler Brice/Handout via REUTERS./File Photo

Earlier this year Google said it was no longer vying for a $10 billion cloud computing contract with the U.S. Defense Department, in part because the company’s new ethical guidelines do not align with the project.

In June, Google said it would not renew a contract to help the U.S. military analyze aerial drone imagery when it expires, as the company sought to defuse internal uproar over the deal.

The defense program, called Project Maven, set off a revolt inside Google, as factions of employees opposed Google technology being used in warfare.

An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland December 5, 2018. Picture taken with a fisheye lens. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

At the same time, Google is developing a censored search engine for Chinese users, which it says is experimental and not close to launching.

Google has long sought to have a bigger presence in China, the world’s largest internet market. It needs government approval to compete with the country’s dominant homegrown internet services.

Current and former employees, human rights activists and U.S. lawmakers have criticized Google for not taking a harder line against the Chinese government’s policy that politically sensitive results be blocked.

"I'm not sure that people at Google will enjoy a world order that is informed by the norms and standards of Russia or China," Dunford said, without mentioning any other tech companies by name during his remarks.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart; Additional reporting by Paresh Dave in San Francisco; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.