Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Richard Wronski

Tollway OKs $106M to launch planning for Tri-State rebuilding project

July 24--Although the project is five years away, the Illinois Tollway awarded $106 million in contracts Thursday to launch planning for a major rebuilding of the central Tri-State Tollway, one of the region's busiest transportation arteries.

Officials also announced the creation of an advisory council of more than two dozen railroads, trucking and business associations and government agencies to help guide the project, including deciding whether to widen the tollway.

The Tollway plans to reconstruct the Tri-State (I-294) from Balmoral Avenue near O'Hare International Airport south to 95th Street over a two-year period starting in 2020. The 22-mile stretch is the Tollway's heaviest-traveled section with the heaviest congestion. "It's a very critical piece of infrastructure," said Rocco Zucchero, the agency's chief planner.

The latest cost estimate for the project is $1.7 billion, but that could go higher if lanes are added. The project is part of the $12 billion capital program that the Tollway launched with funding from the 87.5 percent toll increase that went into effect in 2012. A 40 percent hike for trucks and trailers went into effect Jan. 1.

The highway carries as many as 200,000 vehicles per day. The Tri-State generates 45 percent of the Tollway system's $1 billion annual toll revenue, with the central portion alone producing nearly one-fifth of all tolls, the agency said.

Originally built in 1958, the central Tri-State was widened twice previously, first in 1972 and again 20 years later. It was last resurfaced in 2012.

"We have pieces (of highway) out there that are vintage 1958," said Paul Kovacs, the Tollway's chief engineer.

The key part of the project will be the rebuilding of the so-called milelong bridge over the Des Plaines River Valley. One option could be widening median shoulders and inside lanes to accommodate Pace bus-on-shoulder service. The Tollway is also considering "smart highway" technology, with cameras, sensors and overhead signs to guide traffic flow.

Although the Tollway does not have jurisdiction over the notoriously clogged I-294/I-290 interchange near Hillside, officials said they may seek a solution with the Illinois Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration.

The contracts approved Thursday include:

--$38.9 million to H.W. Lochner, HDR Engineering and Quigg Engineering for bridge master plan and design.

--$38 million to Jacobs Engineering Group, EFK Moen and Hanson Professional Services for master plan and management services.

--$23 million contract to TranSystems and Exp US Services in Schaumburg for master plan services.

rwronski@tribpub.com

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.