Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Nick Bielby

Toddler remains in serious condition after hit by bus

A young child remained in hospital on Tuesday after being hit by a bus on a suburban Newcastle street earlier this week.

The two-year-old boy was raced to John Hunter Hospital with leg injuries after the vehicle struck him on Chatham Road, at Hamilton North, just after 8am on Monday.

A Hunter New England Health spokesperson told the Newcastle Herald on Tuesday that the toddler remained in hospital in a serious but stable condition.

NSW Ambulance Inspector Jim Duffy on Monday described the child's leg injuries as "severe" but said the two-year-old remained conscious while being treated at the scene.

"This was a very challenging job to attend," Inspector Duffy said.

"I can't stress enough the danger that motor vehicles pose to children - and the need for constant vigilance around roads."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.