Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
National
Gurjeet Nanrah

Timescale plots 'long-term solution' to protect homes in a quarry affected by mudslide

An initial timescale has been laid out for a "long-term solution" to protect homes in a Mansfield quarry affected by a mudslide last year.

A total of 19 homes in Berry Hill Quarry were evacuated when heavy rainfall caused 1,300 tons of sand and rock to fall down a cliff-face on November 7 .

Mansfield District Council will evaluate the costs of the works in April, with a view to have a contractor appointed in May to begin the project.

The proposed design solution is anticipated to cost up to £5 million, and Mansfield District Council has approached the government for financial support for the works.

On the advice of Fairhurst, the council’s geotechnical consultants, it is proposed that mesh and pegs will be pinned to the cliff face and a protective barrier will be built at the foot of the cliff.

Residents were originally informed on January 30 that this barrier would be a high-strength fence installed along the cliff-face - but these plans have now changed to installing a a 'gabion basket' wall instead, which are stacked metal cages filled with rocks, concrete or sand.

James Biddlestone, the council’s project manager, said: "The council will go out to tender for the management, implementation and delivery of the project requirements.

"Our outline timescale will see tenders evaluated in April with view to a contractor being appointed in May.

"This is a milestone for the council to bring forward a long-term solution to mitigate against the natural erosion of the cliff face."

The council has taken action to ensure that measures are put in place to further protect homes in Stone Bank and Bank End Close.

The majority of works will take place within existing buffer zones at the rear of gardens.

Andy Abrahams, Executive Mayor, said: "Following his visit last November and again in January, we have been in contact with both the Secretary of State for Housing and Communities and our MP about the landslip at Berry Hill.

"We have stressed that the failure of the slope was due to climatic conditions following the wettest weather ever recorded in Nottinghamshire and that we need financial support to help pay for the extensive works necessary to keep our residents safe.

"We have been really encouraged by the conversations and help we have received to date and await a decision on the funding."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.