Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Perthshire Advertiser

Three more St Johnstone fans banned from McDiarmid Park due to alleged cup final disorder

Another three St Johnstone supporters, taking the total so far to 12, have appeared in the dock at Perth Sheriff Court, charged with running amok outside the club's Crieff Road stadium.

They are accused of causing mayhem in the wake of the side's Scottish Cup triumph almost two months ago by hurling flares and smoke bombs at police and security officers.

All are said to have behaved "in a threatening or abusive manner" when it is alleged that security officer Margaret McKenna was injured by one of the missiles at McDiarmid Park on May 22.

It is understood that a total of 25 supporters face court action following Saints' historic 1-0 victory over Hibernian at Glasgow's Hampden Park.

St Johnstone chairman Steve Brown had urged supporters to stay away from the ground on cup final day and reminded them of the importance of following coronavirus regulations.

Before the court last Friday were: 21-year-old Charlie Johnston, of Nimmo Avenue, and Cameron McIntosh (20), of Broomside, both Perth; and 20-year-old Evan Punton, of Lumsden Crescent, Almondbank.

A warrant had been issued for Punton's arrest after he failed to appear in court the previous week.

As well as allegedly throwing the smoke bombs and flares - or other pyrotechnics, the three have all denied forcing their way through a perimeter gate and repeatedly kicking a temporary security fence at the ground, damaging it.

It is then said they forced their way through that fence and hurled bottles - and other items - at police and security personnel working there, some of which struck the officers.

It is further alleged that they caused "fear or alarm" and formed part of a "disorderly crowd" by shouting and swearing.

An alternative charge accuses the trio, while acting with others, of "forming part of a disorderly crowd" and committing a breach of the peace, with the same results.

The alleged disgraceful scenes followed the historic, second trophy success for the Perth side after they won the Betfred League Cup, triumphing over Livingston by the same 1-0 margin in February.

Johnston also denied an additional charge of breaching a court undertaking which stipulated that he should sign on at his local police station during the first half of any St Johnstone game.

It is alleged that he failed to do that during the Perth club's friendly against English Championship side Preston North End at McDiarmid on Tuesday night.

All of the accused were freed on bail but a special condition was imposed, banning them from attending St Johnstone games - both home and away - until after their respective trial dates.

That means they will miss around 30 of the club's fixtures.

Johnston will stand trial on February 7, with McIntosh and Punton appearing two days later.

All three had a preliminary hearing scheduled for January 20 to check their readiness for trial.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.