Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Police rue missed chances to 'walk away' as eight boys and men charged over Weston Creek stabbing death

The 18-year-old died at the scene after being stabbed.

Eight people now face charges over a violent, armed brawl in a Canberra skate park in September, in which a teenager was stabbed to death.

ACT police laid charges against three people today — all teenagers — following several other arrests over the past two months.

Police said the 18-year-old victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was killed during the stoush in Weston Creek in the early hours of September 27.

The victim's 16-year-old cousin, who had arrived at the park in the same car, was also stabbed and left with wounds to his face, back and buttocks.

Court documents say an argument between two groups had escalated earlier that day on Snapchat, and those involved had agreed to meet and fight at the park.

Some allegedly brought and used weapons during the deadly brawl, including a machete, rake, shovel and pickaxe.

Police say the victim was pulled from his vehicle upon parking and attacked.

Police rue missed opportunities to 'walk away'

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller told media today the two groups had threatened each other and behaved aggressively before meeting

"A young man died that night and all those involved showed a disregard for the life and safety of their friends and others," he said.

"What's sad is there were numerous opportunities for everyone to put the phones down and walk away before it became physical."

Superintendent Moller reminded Canberrans that it was an offence to use social media to threaten, harass or humiliate others, with the intention of causing social, psychological or physical harm.

"I would say to young people, their parents and friends — if you're being abused or bullied, please speak up and seek help before you do anything else," he said.

Suspects face murder, assault, affray and other charges

The latest trio to face court includes an 18-year-old charged with accessory after the fact, a 17-year-old charged with affray and a 16-year-old charged with affray and assault.

Another three men faced court last week, including an 18-year-old and a 25-year-old, both charged with affray, and an 18-year-old charged with being knowingly concerned with affray.

In the immediate aftermath of the fatal attack, police charged a 16-year-old boy with murder and affray, and a 17-year-old with affray.

The court has heard that forensic testing of the clothes the younger boy was wearing on the night showed they were stained with the victim's blood.

However, the murder weapon has not been found.

The case will be heard in court next year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.