Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics
Katharine Jackson

Three missionaries released in Haiti following October kidnapping

FILE PHOTO: Max Leroy Mesidor, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Port-au-Prince, hands off a placard that reads "You cannot kidnap my faith", which he received as an offering from worshippers during Sunday Catholic Mass at the Chapelle de l'Immaculee Conception de l'HUEH in Port-au-Prince, Haiti October 31, 2021. REUTERS/Adrees Latif/File Photo

Three missionaries who were kidnapped in Haiti in October have been released, the U.S. State Department and the Ohio-based missionary group that organized the group's trip to the Caribbean nation said on Monday.

"We are thankful to God that three more hostages were released last night. Those who were released are safe and seem to be in good spirits," Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries said in a statement.

People are seen at the Christian Aid Ministries compound after the organisation announced the release of three missionaries who were kidnapped along with others in October, in Titanyen, on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, Haiti December 6, 2021. REUTERS/Ralph Tedy Erol

U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price on Monday confirmed the release, adding that the United States is continuing to work to secure the release of the others.

Haitian National Police spokesman Garry Desrosiers said the three were released on Sunday night. He declined to give additional details, citing the security of the remaining hostages.

Sixteen Americans and one Canadian, including five children, were abducted after visiting an orphanage. The incident has highlighted Haiti's dire kidnapping problem, which has worsened in recent months amid economic troubles and political upheaval.

A building on the Christian Aid Ministries compound is pictured after the organisation announced the release of three missionaries who were kidnapped along with others in October, in Titanyen, on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, Haiti December 6, 2021. REUTERS/Ralph Tedy Erol

Two other ministry group members were released last month.

(Reporting by Katharine Jackson in Washington; Additional reporting by Gessika Thomas in Port-au-Prince; Editing by Susan Heavey and Matthew Lewis)

People are seen at the Christian Aid Ministries compound after the organisation announced the release of three missionaries who were kidnapped along with others in October, in Titanyen, on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince, Haiti December 6, 2021. REUTERS/Ralph Tedy Erol
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.