Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
World
Chris Stephen in Tunis

Three French special forces soldiers die in Libya

The French president, François Hollande
The French president, François Hollande, said the three soldiers died during ‘dangerous intelligence operations’. Photograph: Mehdi Fedouach/AFP/Getty Images

Three French special forces soldiers have died in a helicopter crash in Libya, François Hollande has said, the first western special forces killed in the country.

The three, who have not been named, died during “dangerous intelligence operations”, the French president said on Wednesday. “Three of our soldiers, who were involved in these operations, have been killed in a helicopter accident.”

His announcement came hours after the French defence ministry, reacting to reports of the crash, admitted for the first time that Paris has special forces in Libya.

No details of how the men died have been released, but there is speculation it relates to the crash of a helicopter downed on Sunday near the village of Magrum, about 43 miles (70km) south of Benghazi.

An Islamist militia, Benghazi Defence Brigades, claims to have shot the helicopter down although the Libyan army says the crash was accidental.

Pictures of the wreckage of the aircraft, a Russian-made Mi-17 helicopter gunship, were posted on social media, with reports that foreigners were among bodies recovered from the wreckage.

The presence of French special forces in the country was first reported by Le Monde in February, which said a detachment was aiding Libyan general Khalifa Haftar against Islamic State forces from a base at Benghazi airport.

Magrum is the scene of heavy fighting as the Benghazi Defence Brigades struggle to push north against Haftar’s forces and link up with fellow Islamist militias inside the city.

For months there have been reports of western special forces in Libya deployed to battle Isis. Earlier this year, the Pentagon said its units were deployed to “partner” local militias against Isis.

London has admitted sending RAF reconnaissance flights over the country but has refused to comment on claims by Libyan commanders that SAS soldiers are aiding forces battling Isis in its base in the coastal town of Sirte.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.