Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Cait Kelly

Three die in ‘horrific’ south Sydney vehicle crash after police welfare check

Police car.
A 42-year-old man was among three dead after a car crashed shortly after police made a welfare check at a Sydney property. Photograph: Bianca de Marchi/AAP

Three people have died in a crash in Sydney after a man fled from police who had been attempting to carry out a welfare check.

Police officers had been called to a property in Gymea Bay, southern Sydney, at 12.25am on Saturday. When they arrived, a 42-year-old man drove away in a white Audi, New South Wales police said.

Shortly afterwards, police received reports that an Audi had rolled over a concrete barrier and landed on a blue Toyota sedan at Sans Souci, about 7km away.

The man died at the scene, as did the driver and passenger of the Toyota, who are yet to be formally identified.

Superintendent Graham Hibbs said police had been called to carry out a welfare check before the accident.

“All I can really say at this stage is we were called for a concern for welfare, a mental health incident,” he said. “And that’s all the detail I can provide.”

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email

Police were not able to speak with the man before he fled. Officers believed the Audi was travelling at “considerable speed” when the crash occurred, Hibbs said.

“It was a horrific scene. We really feel for the families of all three persons and their loved ones,” he said.

“I don’t think there were many cars on the road at that time.”

Between 20 and 40 bystanders attempted to assist when one of the cars caught fire.

“We really feel for the families of all three persons who were involved in this incident and their loved ones,” he said.

A crime scene has been established, and investigations are continuing into the crash circumstances, with drugs and alcohol a line of inquiry.

It has been a deadly 24 hours on Australian roads after a 25-year-old woman and an infant died in a two-car crash near a popular holiday spot in Queensland.

In a separate crash in Queensland, two girls, aged 13 and 14, suffered serious injuries after they were hit by a car while on a footpath in South Mackay.

– with AAP

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.