Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Sport
Barry Cooper

Three clubs 'have contacted' Nottingham Forest over striker Daryl Murphy

Daryl Murphy is unlikely to return to former club Ipswich Town, according to the Eastern Anglian Daily Times.

Murphy is out of favour at Nottingham Forest, having been told by boss Sabri Lamouchi he’s free to leave the City Ground before Thursday’s 5pm transfer deadline.  

The 36-year-old had been linked with a move back to Portman Road.

Nigel Clough’s Burton Albion, Doncaster Rovers and Bolton Wanderers are all understood to have made a move for the Irishman ahead of the deadline.

Speaking previously on interest in Murphy, Town boss Paul Lambert suggested a move would be financially difficult for the man who netted 67 goals in 225 appearances in East Anglia.

Jason Cummings celebrates scoring at Mansfield with Murphy (Dan Westwell)

"The lad was a good player but I don't know because he's older now,” he said. 

"Money-wise you never know until wages get put on the table, but people need to get their heads round that we won't be getting masses.

"That's not a problem. The club has spent a hell of a lot of money over the years, but we've got the young guys coming through the academy. We're a good side, even though they're young.”

Murphy is one of a number of players Forest are keen to move on before the window closes, with the likes of Zach Clough, Jason Cummings, Liam Bridcutt and Luke Steele told they have no future at the City Ground having spent pre-season playing for the Under-23s.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.