Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
Health
Cathy Owen

Three cases of coronavirus confirmed in the UK

Three more patients from England have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of UK cases to 23.

The announcement was made on Saturday afternoon by Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty.

It comes a day after the first case in Wales after a man from Swansea tested positive.

Two of the patients in England had recently travelled back from Italy while the other had returned from Asia, Professor Whitty said.

Coronavirus: What we know so far

The three cases - one in Gloucestershire, one in Hertfordshire and another in Berkshire - are being investigated and any individuals who had contact with the patients are now being traced.

More than 10,000 people in the UK have been tested for the virus, also known as Covid-19, with 23 confirmed as positive.

It comes as health officials continue to trace a patient who became the first to catch the illness within the UK.

It was not clear if the patient had contracted the virus "directly or indirectly" from somebody who had recently travelled abroad, Prof Whitty said.

The first patient to be diagnosed with coronavirus in Wales had been on a skiing trip with his family in Italy.

A source told WalesOnline the Swansea man, who was aged in his 50s, contacted NHS Direct Wales on 111 on Sunday, was tested on Tuesday and received the results on Wednesday, confirming he had the virus with the official name COVID-1.

The man has since been taken for treatment at one of four centres dealing with coronavirus cases in England.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.