Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Ben Hayward

Thomas Partey to Arsenal: Agent shoots down latest transfer speculation

Thomas Partey's representatives have denied that the Atletico Madrid midfielder is involved in transfer negotiations with Arsenal.

On Wednesday, Partey's father Jacob was quoted as telling Tru FM that his son had entered talks with the Gunners.

Thomas has been one of the standout players for Diego Simeone's side in 2019/20, and the Gunners are thought to be ready to pay his €50million (£44m) release clause.

However, Thomas' representatives, JJSports, said of the reported negotiations: "It's totally untrue."

Partey Snr was quoted as saying that his son had called him and confirmed that the rumours were true, adding: “I called my son after hearing the rumours and he told me that the rumours are true.

(Getty Images)

"He told me they are holding talks between him and Arsenal.

"It all depends on the offer Atletico are demanding.

"If he goes to Arsenal, fine – they have a lot supporters in Ghana.

"I will be happy if he decides to move to Arsenal.

"What they are discussing now is how Atletico will release him.”

Atletico had been readying a new contract for Thomas, whose current deal runs until 2023.

However, they will be powerless if Arsenal pay his clause and the player chooses to leave.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.