Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Lucy Bladen

Govt reveals how many ACT teachers not vaccinated as mandate introduced

Education Directorate figures who 96 per cent of ACT teaching and early childhood education staff have received at least one dose. Picture: Dion Georgopoulos

A number of teachers and early childhood staff will be redeployed as a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for some staff in the profession comes into effect on Monday.

The ACT's Education Directorate has said that more than 96 per cent of teachers and early education staff affected by the mandate have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

The remaining unvaccinated staff will need to be redeployed, however, an ACT Education Directorate spokeswoman said the directorate was confident this would not affect school operations.

This is despite the fact there are chronic workforce shortages in ACT public schools, in particular there is a shortage of casual teachers.

"A minimal number of staff have indicated they are not able to comply with the health order. Those staff are being supported by the directorate for redeployment," the spokeswoman said.

"This is not expected to significantly impact school operations and the situation will continued to be monitored closely."

Under an ACT public health order, staff working in early childhood settings, ACT primary schools, out-of-school-hours care and specialist education settings are required to have at least one vaccine dose.

By November 29, these staff must be fully vaccinated.

The spokeswoman said fewer than five staff members had indicated that they had a medical exemption.

While most have complied with the mandate, a number of teachers have expressed outrage.

Last month, a letter signed by 79 school and early childhood educators opposing the mandate was circulated to ACT politicians.

The mandate has also caused Charnwood-Dunlop School principal Rob Lans to take time away from the job. Mr Lans expressed opposition to the vaccine in a video with One Nation Senator Malcolm Roberts.

ACT chief health officer Dr Kerryn Coleman has previously said the mandate could be ceased once vaccines are available for children under 12.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.