Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

There has been no discussion on weekday curfew: Basavaraj Bommai

Refusing to speak on the speculation over the extension of weekend curfew, Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Sunday said there was no proposal to extend the curfew to the weekdays.

“I will not participate in any speculation over the extension of the weekend curfew. There has been no discussion at the government level on the weekday curfew so far,” he told reporters. He added that the issue was not discussed even on Saturday when Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa chaired a meeting to discuss the COVID-19 issue. “The status quo will continue as of now,” he said.

Meanwhile, sources in the Chief Minister’s Office also said there was no such agenda before the State government. “Whatever is being implemented will continue,” an official said.

Mr. Bommai also said the Centre’s allocation of 800 tonnes of oxygen would “greatly bring down” the stress on the State and there would be no scarcity in the coming days. He said that efforts were being made to ensure that there is no shortage of vaccination for those above 45 years who will be require the second dose and for those between 18 and 45, who will be eligible for vaccination from May 1.

The Cabinet on Monday is likely to take a decision on announcing free vaccination for those in the 18 to 45 age group, on the lines of what a few other States have decided.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.