Nov. 11--PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball will investigate whether the Cubs tampered with new manager Joe Maddon while he was still under contract with the Rays, and Cubs president Theo Epstein says bring it on.
"We welcome the MLB investigation," Epstein said Monday night at the general managers meetings. "As we said last week there's no tampering whatsoever, and I'd rather they investigate so we can clear our names and get this over and move on from this quickly. We're giving our full cooperation and welcome it."
The Cubs will provide phone records or anything MLB requests to prove they did not contact Maddon until he exercised his opt out clause with the Rays.
Epstein and Maddon's agent, Alan Nero, have repeatedly denied the claim by the Rays, who believe Maddon opted out of his contract with the knowledge the Cubs were prepared to sign him to a lucrative long-term deal. Maddon wound up leaving the Rays for a five-year deal reportedly worth $25 million.
The investigation could take as long as a month, but the Cubs are seeking a quick resolution, according to a team source.
"We've got nothing to hide," he said.
Nero said Monday the Rays' claim was "embarrassing," and "absolutely ridiculous," adding that it amounted to "defamation of (Epstein's) character."
Epstein said last week during Maddon's introductory news conference there was "absolutely no tampering whatsoever."
"It's just totally inaccurate," he said. ""There's nothing to it."