Britain's The Sun newspaper on Friday apologised for publishing a column by television presenter Jeremy Clarkson about Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, days after the opinion piece became the UK press standards regulator's most-complained-about article.
"We at The Sun regret the publication of this article and we are sincerely sorry," the UK newspaper said in a statement, adding that the column had been removed from its website and archives.
After the controversial column was published last week, the UK's Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) regulator said on Tuesday that it had received more than 17,500 complaints, the most about any article since it was established in 2014.
Clarkson — who gained worldwide fame as one of the three presenters of popular motoring show Top Gear — has since apologised.
More than 60 politicians signed a letter written by Caroline Nokes — chair of parliament's Women and Equalities Select Committee — to the editor of The Sun, warning such articles contribute to a climate of hatred and violence against women.
In a statement posted on Twitter on Monday, Clarkson said he was "horrified to have caused so much hurt" and would be "more careful in future".
The column came out the day after the release of the final three episodes of the Netflix documentary series Harry & Meghan, where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex both spoke out against their treatment by Britain's tabloid media.