With campaigning in the general election suspended in the wake of the suspected terror attack in Manchester, this morning’s Snap will not follow its usual format, but will point you in the direction of the day’s unfolding news.
For the latest from Manchester:
- At least 19 dead, 50 injured, in suspected terrorist bombing in Manchester.
- Latest updates on our live blog.
- General election campaigning suspended after Manchester attack.
The prime minister, Theresa May, will chair a meeting of the government’s emergency Cobra meeting this morning at 9am. In a statement issued by Downing Street overnight, May said:
We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.
All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.
The home secretary, Amber Rudd, who will also attend Cobra, said:
My thoughts are with all those affected by this barbaric act.
The full details of exactly what happened are still emerging, but I am proud of the police and first responders who reacted to this tragic incident so swiftly.
Condolences were also offered by Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon and Tim Farron, who has cancelled a campaign visit to Gibraltar today. The SNP’s planned manifesto launch today has been postponed, and Sturgeon will instead convene a meeting of the Scottish government’s resilience committee.
The Labour leader paid tribute to the work of the emergency services this morning, adding:
I have spoken with the prime minister and we have agreed that that all national campaigning in the general election will be suspended until further notice.
Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham called it “a terrible night for our great city”, praising emergency services for their swift response.
Steve Rotheram, the Liverpool city region metro mayor, said his daughters had been at the venue:
Thank you to the Alpha taxi driver who percivered and eventually got through the traffic to pick up my 2 girls from the Manchester Arena.
— Steve Rotheram (@Steve4LCRmayor) May 22, 2017
Before the news broke from Manchester, the day’s political focus had been on the Conservative u-turn on social care. You can catch up on Monday’s campaign news here:
- Theresa May faces ‘chaos and confusion’ claims after social care U-turn.
- May’s responses to Andrew Neil’s five toughest questions.
- Green party outlines plan for ‘caring Britain’ in manifesto launch.
- General election 2017 poll tracker.
More than 620,000 people applied to register to vote yesterday ahead of the midnight deadline – 246,000 of them aged under 25. Today is the deadline to apply for a postal vote. You can do so here.