Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
National
Helen Davidson

Census 2016: ABS says deliberate attacks were to blame for website crashing

Australian Bureau of Statistics sign
The ABS website and the census submission website both crashed, leaving many Australians unable to fill in the forms. Photograph: Alan Porritt/AAP

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has apologised after websites crashed during peak time on census night.

David Kalisch, the ABS chief statistician, told ABC news radio the site was subject to a sequence of denial of service attacks emanating from overseas. He says the ABS shut down the site to “protect the integrity of the data”, rather than the site crashing.

“From the scale of the attack it is clear it is malicious,” he said. “The data is secure and we expect to be in a situation soon to inform the public when the site will be ready again.

“I can certainly reassure Australians the data they provided is safe,” he said.

Kalisch said there were three attacks throughout the day on Tuesday, which were overcome, but the fourth one at about 7.30pm AEST caused severe problems.

The Australian Signals Directorate was now investigating, Kalisch said. He refused the speculate on the exact source of the attack, but in the past Australian government sites had been subject to attacks from Chinese hackers.

The ABS will release a statement at 9am about when Australians can expect to log back onto the census site.

On Tuesday evening, millions logged on to complete their online form. A few people reported problems early on but it largely was going ahead as planned for the majority

But not long after dinner time, many more millions also tried to log on – and then the problems started. As the servers crashed under the load, users were left with timeouts, grey pages or spinning beach balls of failure.

Social media was awash with screengrabs and memes using the #censusfail hashtag.

The technical collapse of the system also sparked observations on the prospect of electronic voting.

Meanwhile, the official Twitter account continued to reassure people “the online form and website are operating smoothly as expected”.

They eventually came around, posting a little after 8.30pm AEST that the sites had crashed. A spokesman confirmed the outage to Guardian Australia and said they were working to restore the service. At 11pm AEST, the ABS tweeted that the service would not be restored that night.

The census was already under intense scrutiny and criticism after it revealed it would retain names and addresses for four years – up from 18 months – and link datasets together. Several senators were among those who vowed they would not give the ABS their name, despite the threat of fines of $180 per day for not completing it.

The ABS has assured users they will not be fined for not completing it on Tuesday - they have until 23 September to complete the form, provided it is filled out with information accurate for census night.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.