People across Ireland are being warned to stay vigilant as it is feared sensitive information from the HSE has been released on the dark web.
There is evidence that the criminals, known as the Wizard Spider cartel, have already sold confidential information on patients to other criminals who will now use it to extort cash from the Irish public.
Former Health Minister Simon Harris said there is a “real risk” that more patient data was to be released on Monday.
He told RTE’s The Week in Politics that the data dump had already begun. The Higher Education Minister said: “There’s some evidence it may have already happened in some instances and that’s been verified by gardai.
“There’s a really important message and it’s really vital and that’s if you are contacted asking for your bank details, the State will never contact you asking for your bank details over the telephone or by email.
“And in my experience the State will never contact you offering to pay you back money.”

In a statement the Government warned the public to contact gardai if they are contacted by anyone claiming to have their data.
It read: “The theft and disclosure of medical data would be a particularly despicable crime because it involves sensitive information. Any public release of this data would be illegal.
“The Government urges anyone who has reason to suspect they are victims of this cyberattack to make a report at their local Garda Station or through the Garda Confidential line. The line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 1800 666 111.”
What data do the hackers have?
It is understood that anyone who ever used HSE services is potentially at risk and there are fears some patients, including those treated for conditions such as sexually transmitted diseases, could fall victim to blackmail.
A government statement released on Sunday said that the hackers have access to "sensitive, personal information".
And there were fears last night that the hackers had begun dumping this information online through the dark web.
Top doctors’ publiciation the Irish Medical Times yesterday received several reports from the members of the public who had been called on what looked like a Dublin by someone claiming to be from a hospital.
The caller knew the individual’s date of birth, PPS number and the dates of their stays at the hospital.
Anyone who believes or suspects they have been victims of this cyber attack is urged to make a report at their local garda station or through the garda confidential line.
The line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 1800 666 111.