Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Entertainment
Guardian music

The Beach Boys consider playing at Trump inauguration

Musicians Bruce Johnston and Mike Love of The Beach Boys perform onstage during the Hollywood Walk of Fame Honors at Taglyan Complex on October 25 in Los Angeles.
Musicians Bruce Johnston and Mike Love of The Beach Boys perform onstage during the Hollywood Walk of Fame Honors at Taglyan Complex on October 25 in Los Angeles. Photograph: Todd Williamson/Getty Images for Associated Television International

Donald Trump has been struggling to find a musician willing to perform at his inauguration in January, with the likes of Elton John, Gene Simmons and Garth Brooks declining his offer. Now one group – a band who in many ways embody the spirit and themes of the American dream – have confirmed that they are considering their offer to perform at the event.

“The Beach Boys have been asked to perform as part of the inauguration festivities,” a spokesperson for the for the group told Billboard. “But no decision has been made at this point as to how or whether they will participate. We will let you know as soon as a decision is final.”

A representative has confirmed that Al Jardine and Brian Wilson would not be involved in this event.

The group have a chequered history when it comes to their political affiliation. They have been enlisted for a number of political events throughout their career, performing for George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, who dubbed them “America’s band” in 1983.

Mike Love, a longtime Republican, performed a fundraiser for John McCain in 2008, at which the politician infamously modified a line of the Beach Boys 1965 hit Barbara Ann: “Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.” In 2012, Beach Boy Bruce Johnston was asked whether he liked the democratic leader: “Obama? Unless you’re interested in never having any money and being socialised.”

So far only one name has been confirmed for Trump’s inauguration: 16-year-old opera singer Jackie Evancho. Announcing her role in an interview with the Today show, she confirmed she would be singing the national anthem.

“It’s a little nerve-racking, but I’m honored,” she said. “I get to perform for the office. I’m very excited.”

• This article and the photograph were changed on 23 December 2016 to clarify that Al Jardine and Brian Wilson are not in the Beach Boys touring lineup considering taking part in the inauguration ceremony.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.