Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Finn McHugh

The ACT is no longer a COVID hotspot

The ACT is no longer a Commonwealth hotspot. Picture: Karleen Minney

The ACT is no longer considered a COVID-19 hotspot by the Commonwealth as Canberrans take up vaccination at an astonishing rate.

Under the national reopening plan, the Commonwealth automatically lifts its hotspot declaration once more than 80 per cent of a state or territory's 16-and-over population has received both doses.

The ACT ticked over that threshold on Monday, more than two months after it was officially declared a Commonwealth hotspot, and the declaration was lifted a minute before midnight.

Commonwealth support will be wound down over the coming fortnight.

Federal Emergency Management Minister Bridget McKenzie said claims for support had already been on a downward trend.

"While it's fantastic to see people in the ACT returning to work, the payment will remain available to workers who continue to be impacted by restrictions for another two weeks," she said.

Canberrans who have lost at least eight hours of work will be able to access $450 in the first week after the declaration lifted, cut to $320 in the second week.

An extra $100 available to those receiving Centrelink or the veterans support will remain for the first week, but cease for the second.

Commonwealth chief medical officer Paul Kelly thanked Canberrans for "so wholeheartedly embracing" vaccinations, with the ACT on course to become one of the most vaccinated jurisdictions in the world.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed the development would trigger the "next step in our pathway forward", which was outlined on Tuesday.

The next tranche of reopening in the ACT had been penciled-in for October 29, two weeks after it exited its longest and hardest lockdown.

But fresh changes announced on Tuesday after a cabinet meeting on Monday will mean retailers can reopen to customers with strict density limits from Friday.

Changes to NSW border arrangements at the weekend allowed Canberrans to enter non-essential retail shops in Queanbeyan, prompting pressure on the ACT government to ease restrictions in the territory.

It came just a day after NSW had its hotspot definition lifted, as NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet pushed ahead with the state's aggressive reopening strategy.

The ACT was officially declared a hotspot for the purpose of receiving Commonwealth support on August 12, the same day it reported its first COVID-19 case in over a year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.