Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Mark Lane

Texans explored option to trade DE J.J. Watt

The Houston Texans did it again. They let an All-Pro get away and didn’t get the necessary draft compensation.

The Texans released defensive end J.J. Watt on Feb. 12. Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair told the Houston Chronicle’s John McClain that the team did explore every option, but did not elaborate when asked they didn’t try to trade him.

Chairman and CEO Cal McNair was asked Friday why the Texans didn’t trade Watt for a draft choice rather than release him.

“We did evaluate all the options and thought this was the right decision for J.J. and the Texans,” he said. “It’s one that was mutually agreed on, and we felt doing the right thing by J.J. was important.

“Not every decision is easy, and they’re not always easily understood. We want to do what’s right by our players and our fans, and the focus is on bringing a championship to Houston.”

The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport explained on the Pat McAfee Show that in order to trade Watt, they would have had to have found a willing partner that would give up fair compensation and also be willing to rework Watt’s contract, which will be in its last year with $17.5 million not guaranteed.

With the way the Texans let Watt go, it allows for the three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year to pick his destination rather than have to move the heavens in order to make a situation fit around him.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.