Scotland’s ailing Test and Protect system has suffered another blow after an IT glitch hampered the vital service.
Some staff were unable to fully do their job yesterday due to a failure to upgrade key software.
Separately, it was announced that extra staff would be drafted in amid claims contact tracing had been “overwhelmed” by a surge in covid cases.
Labour MSP Jackie Baillie said: “It seems to be one problem after another with the test and protect system. When case numbers are rising, to have the telephone tracing system down is disastrous.
“Here is yet more evidence that the Scottish Government has not given the staff the resources they need to do the job.”
Test and Protect, run by the NHS, tries to interrupt the spread of coronavirus by identifying people who have covid.
Staff also trace the close contacts of those who have been infected and provide support to self-isolate.
However, the Government has been blasted after performance fell below international standards.
It only reached 65.1% of infected people’s close contacts within 72 hours in the week ending June 27, and 73.1% the following week – both below the World Health Organisation target of 80%.
The Daily Record can now reveal that out of date software stopped some staff from handling cases on Friday for a period. Two sources confirmed the problem.
Martin Morrison, Operations Director for the National Contact Centre, said: “We received reports early this morning [Friday 9 July] about a required upgrade to the desktop component of our telecommunications software. This impacted a small number of our staff who were using an older version of the software in our National Contact Centre and in Health Boards.
“During the short time it took for upgrades to be actioned, there was no significant effect on our service with some calls taking a little longer to be answered. Thousands of calls continued to be made and received. Within the National Contact Centre upgrades were swiftly and successfully rolled out by our digital teams this afternoon.”
A Scottish Government spokesperson said: “Test and Protect has at no point shut down – indeed, the phone system has made and received thousands of calls today.
"A small number of staff required their software to be updated - those working remotely who did not have access to high-speed broadband are given the option to connect securely using their own personal devices – but the technology ensures that the calls made do not originate from the phone device itself.
"This does not materially affect any aspect of the contact tracing service using the telephony system.”
Meanwhile, Health Secretary Humza Yousaf said yesterday a deal had been reached with Barrhead Travel to supply an extra 100 staff for contact tracing.
The travel firm has previously provided staff for Test and Protect.
Yousaf said: “This agreement to bring in additional staff follows our ongoing efforts this year to ensure commercial partners were on board in preparation for potential increases in demand on the contact tracing system.
“This extra workforce is important, but the success of the system going forward will not simply be about staffing numbers.”
On the system generally, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has acknowledged contact times “fell below” the desired level but said changes are being made to speed up the process.
These have included greater use of text message notifications and digital self-tracing forms.
Scottish Tory MSP Annie Wells said: “The SNP have let the vital Test and Protect system become completely overwhelmed before finally waking up and putting plans in place to recruit more staff.
“They took their eye off the ball at a critical moment and failed to resource the system to cope with a surge in cases in Scotland.”