Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Duncan Mackay

Tergat pulls out of London Marathon

With Paula Radcliffe missing already, the Flora London Marathon suffered another blow yesterday when Paul Tergat withdrew from next month's race through injury.

Radcliffe had preferred to concentrate on her Olympic preparations so organisers were pinning their hopes on Tergat, the elegant Kenyan who, in Berlin last October clocked 2hr 4min 55sec to wipe 43 seconds off the world record, to headline their race on April 18.

But Tergat, 34, strained a calf in his right leg in training and is receiving daily treatment in Italy. He refuses to jeopardise his chances of being ready for the Olympics in Athens in August when he will be seeking to win the one honour to have eluded him in his brilliant career.

Tergat made his marathon debut in London three years ago and this was due to be his fourth appearance. He is still seeking his first victory after finishing second twice and fourth once.

Earlier this year Tergat had said London was dominating his thoughts. "Everything I do at the moment is geared towards winning it," he said. "Success there is very important really to wipe away my bad memories."

Now he has been forced to concede defeat. Tergat said: "I am really disappointed but I wouldn't compete in London unless I am 100%. It has always been my aim to win London. It will just have to wait for another year."

The quality of the field will still be deeper than in any other race this year apart from the Olympics.

It includes the London Marathon champion and Olympic gold medallist Gezahegne Abera of Ethiopia, Morocco's reigning world champion Jaouad Gahrib and the world's fastest debutant Evans Rutto of Kenya.

Also running is Kenya's Sammy Korir, who finished only one second behind Tergat in Berlin to become the second fastest of all time.

Kenya's challenge is enhanced by the Chicago runner-up Daniel Njenga, offering the nation a real chance of the men's title for the first time since Douglas Wakiihuri in 1989.

The race will also double as the British Olympic trials. The challenge is headed by Jon Brown, fourth in the Sydney Games four years ago, and also includes Mark Steinle, whose previous best in London is sixth place.

Much will also be expected of Karl Keska, Britain's leading 10,000 metres runner of recent years, who is due to make his debut in the race this year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.