Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Tennis star Kvitova's 2016 knife attacker in custody - reports

Tennis - WTA Mandatory - Madrid Open - Madrid, Spain - May 12, 2018 Czech Republic's Petra Kvitova reacts during the final against Netherlands' Kiki Bertens REUTERS/Paul Hanna -

PRAGUE (Reuters) - A Czech court on Thursday ordered the suspect in a knife attack on two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova to remain in custody, Czech state media reported.

Czech tennis star Kvitova sustained injuries to the tendons in the fingers and thumb or her left hand during the attack at her apartment in December 2016. She was off court for almost six months though has since returned to the top 10.

Police last year ended their investigation but state television reported on Wednesday that an anonymous tip in January led to the detention of a suspect this week. Police said the case was reopened but declined to say if a suspect has been detained.

A district court remanded a 54-year-old man into custody, state television reported on Thursday.

The court spokeswoman could not be reached for comment. She told newspaper Mlada Fronta Dnes's website idnes.cz that the court "decided today on putting into custody the accused in the criminal case of ... P.K."

Kvitova, 28, was ranked 11th in the world at the time of the attack. The left-hander won the Madrid Open this month, moving her up to 8th in the WTA rankings ahead of the French Open, which is due to start on Sunday.

(Reporting by Jason Hovet; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.