Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

Tennis-Federer, other top players expected for Australian Open: Tiley

FILE PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Semi Final - Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia - January 30, 2020. Switzerland's Roger Federer in action during his match against Serbia's Novak Djokovic. REUTERS/Edgar Su/File Photo/File Photo

Australian Open organisers are confident they will see a full slate of the world's top players, including six-times champion Roger Federer, at next year's delayed opening Grand Slam.

Tennis Australia and the Victorian state government said on Saturday the tournament had been pushed back three weeks to start on Feb. 8 after drawn-out negotiations over COVID-19 health security measures.

"We have a commitment from every player in the world to be in Australia," tournament director Craig Tiley said. "Obviously it being the start of the season anything can happen with that entry list, but the commitment is there.. Every player, including Roger, have committed."

Federer had cast some doubt as to whether he would be fit enough for the tournament after he had two surgeries on a knee injury last year and missed virtually the entire playing season.

The 39-year-old Swiss told local media this month that his recovery was behind schedule, but Tiley said he had been in touch with the 20-times Grand Slam champion who had begun his usual pre-season training block in Dubai.

"He said to us that Feb. 8 was a more suitable date for him in terms of preparing for the Australian Open," Tiley added. "But a lot will depend on how he responds to his surgery in the next two to three weeks."

The tournament will charter flights to bring all the main draw players to Australia, with qualifying taking place in Dubai and Doha.

Players would undergo regular COVID-19 testing in Australia and be allowed to train for up to five hours a day, something that Tiley said had been a deal breaker.

"We would not be in a position to run the Australian Open if the players were required to stay in their hotel room for two weeks," he said.

The tournament would be played in front of crowds, with Tiley expecting them to be around 50% of the 840,000 that attended this year's tournament.

"We do expect to have good crowds," he said. "But this is not a year that we try to beat numbers."

(Reporting by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by William Mallard)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.