Telemundo Announces Launch Of Latino Content Brand Tplus And Streaming Plans For World Cup Qatar 2022 On Peacock
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises announced today the launch of Tplus, a new content brand that will feature programming exclusively developed for Latino audiences they call "200%ers" – who are 100% American and 100% Latino. That's a term the company has been using since at least August 2021, when it created the NBC Telemundo Hispanic Streaming division "to supercharge the growth of Latinos on Peacock and across all Telemundo and NBCUniversal streaming platforms."
Telemundo revealed a slate of original programming for Tplus, including a documentary about soccer star Lionel Messi, political thriller Campaña de Promesas (Campaign Promises) and dramedy Armas de Mujer, first announced as a Telemundo original for the yet-to-launch streamer in 2019, as well as several other shows.
The Tplus exclusive content will arrive to Peacock's premium tier in the fall of 2022. The goal is to broaden its reach to all audiences interested in Latino content, regardless of language. The new brand includes an expanded library of Telemundo’s original premium Spanish-language content across a number of genres and formats, such as true crime, coming of age stories, realities, investigations, documentaries, children and family programs, news shows and sports.
During today’s announcement, Telemundo, which invested heavily to wrestle the U.S. Spanish-language FIFA World Cup rights from Univision a decade ago and started the countdown to the biggest global soccer competition, also revealed initial streaming plans for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ that will feature live coverage of matches on Peacock, including the group stage, all knock-off stage World Cup matches, and the highly anticipated final.
“We are proud to partner with our colleagues at Peacock to unveil this innovative streaming offering and provide culturally-relevant entertainment, news and sports to reach the widest Hispanic audience possible across language, across genres and across platforms,” said Beau Ferrari, Chairman, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises.
In a quest to bolster its programming slate, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is partnering with its sister division Telemundo Streaming Studios as well as with independent creators and production companies including Red Arrow’s Kinetic Content and A3. It also announced a first-look multi-year development deal with Bianca Quesada’s ARCUS Studios, a production company dedicated to “expanding the aperture" of Latino narratives. Quesada was on the development team on Vida.
“The Tplus titles we introduced today – along with many more in the pipeline – will resonate with diverse audiences who live their lives across language, countries, and cultures but always want to see the best stories come to life on screen,” said Romina Rosado, EVP and General Manager of Hispanic Streaming, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises.
According to Rosado, "increased streaming consumption of more diverse, multilingual content and Peacock’s scale will quickly position Tplus as the go-to destination for best-in-class Hispanic content.”
The new content brand aims to leverage Telemundo’s capabilities to boost Peacock’s efforts to grow Latino subscribers on the streaming service. In addition to new Tplus premium content focused on the "200%ers," Telemundo says there will be "a significant expansion" of its Spanish-language titles on Peacock, including multiple seasons of some of the network’s originals such as Café con Aroma de Mujer, Yo Soy Betty la Fea, Operación Pacífico, Enemigo Íntimo, Caso Cerrado, Celia, La Querida del Centauro, Al Otro Lado del Muro and Malverde.
Here is the initial upcoming Tplus programming slate on Peacock:
- Mysteries & Scandals (working title): A new Telemundo anthology docu-series developed in partnership with Stephen Land’s A3 – the team behind franchises like Snapped, American Murder Mystery, and Fatal Attraction – will conduct in depth investigations into some of the newsiest and most impactful stories in Latino pop culture.
- Young at Heart (working title): From Red Arrow’s Kinetic Content, the team behind Love is Blind, Married at First Sight, and Wife Swap. Three middle-aged LA-tino couples, all at a personal and emotional crossroads in their marriages, find themselves granted the wish of a lifetime. What will they do with the chance to turn back time and swap their current spouses for much younger partners for a month of real-life change? A social and psychological experiment sparked by the current trend of “age-gap” couples, audiences will share in the discovery as to whether the original couples opt to remain together, for better or worse, or dare to embark on a new life alone or with a sexy new partner.
- Pulsaciones: Spain's greatest surgeon, Alex undergoes a transplant of his own with startling results. Able to see his donor's memories, he decides to investigate the causes of his donor's death, following clues he sees in flashbacks from his new heart.
- Messi: the singular life and achievements of sports icon Lionel Messi find a striking new context and impact in this documentary film directed by acclaimed film director Alex de la Iglesia. A candid portrait crafted by a series of intimate sit-down interviews, Messi's coaches, doctors, journalists, childhood friends, and teammates reveal the essence of who he is, on and off the ‘cancha’.
- Formula: Following her monumental discovery of the elixir of youth, a scientist's reunion with her high school sweetheart drudges up their many dilemmas and issues from the past. After their encounter, the scientist makes the fateful decision to test a formula on herself, with each subsequent dose succeeding in making her 30 years younger.
- Promesas de Campaña: offers a winding tale of swapped identities and political intrigue. When presidential favorite, Gregorio Cuartas, suffers a medical emergency leaving him unable to campaign, his team is forced to search for a replacement. Enter the humble taxi driver Leopoldo Chica – the perfect body double for Cuartas – who finds himself thrust into a foreign world as he steps into the campaign, and into Cuartas’ family life while he recovers.
- Cruzando Limites : Tosca Navarro is a psychiatrist and the head of a unit at the cutting edge of treating adolescents with mental disorders. No one else can see into fragile minds with such clarity and wit. But Tosca also holds a secret: a difficult past as a teenager with a personality disorder and a diagnosis of schizophrenia.
- Armas de Mujer: a dramedy series from the creative team behind Telemundo's blockbuster hit "La Reina del Sur." Four women suffer their worst nightmare after the police arrest their husbands for being linked to the same criminal organization. Accustomed to a life of abundance, they now must join forces in the most unusual manner as they move from a carefree life of luxury to unleashing all their wiles and weapons to survive. The series features an all-star cast including Kate del Castillo (La Reina del Sur), Roselyn Sánchez (Devious Maids, Grand Hotel), Sylvia Sáenz (Betty en NY, 100 Días para Enamorarnos), and Jeimy Osorio (La Suerte de Loli, Betty en NY, Celia).