Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Josh Halliday North of England correspondent

Teenagers take 4am joyride on Blackpool rollercoaster

Rollercoasters on Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Rollercoasters on Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Photograph: Kent Media/Rex/Shutterstock

Two teenagers went for a 4am joyride on a rollercoaster after scaling the fences at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

The youths broke into the amusement park before switching on the Blue Flyer ride and taking it for a 30-minute spin.

The pair were then seen having a food fight in the park’s T-Cafe before fleeing when they were confronted by security guards at 4.50am.

The 82-year-old rollercoaster, previously known as the Zipper Dipper, reaches speeds of up to 25mph and features a drop of about 15ft (5 metres), two smaller hills, and a tunnel.

The Blackpool councillor David O’Hara said: “They could have killed themselves. What were they doing out and about in the middle of the night? Where were the parents?”

A 15-year-old boy was arrested by police on suspicion of burglary and dealt with by community resolution.

A spokeswoman for the park said: “The intruders gained access over barriers and locked gates, and managed to enter a control room of the Blue Flyer ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

“They managed to operate the ride some time before security patrols discovered them at 4.50am.

“From CCTV footage, we understand the intruders were at the ride for up to 30 minutes. During this time two youths can be seen on the ride.

“Following the break-in, the ride has been fully inspected and is operational and open to the public.”

The spokeswoman added there was no significant damage caused to the T-Cafe.

She added: “Security will continue to operate with vigilance over a 24-hour period across the 42-acre site, assisted by CCTV surveillance, monitoring activity on the grounds of Blackpool Pleasure Beach.”

A Lancashire police spokesman said: “At around 4.50am on Friday 17 June we were called by security at Blackpool Pleasure Beach after they spotted two youths on the site on CCTV.

“A 15-year-old boy from Blackpool was later arrested on suspicion of burglary and was given a community resolution.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.