Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser

Teenager set pram on fire, blocking exit for flats' residents

A FIREBUG set a pram alight, filling a common close with smoke and blocking the exit for residents living in 10 flats.

Dylan Sewell, 19, a prisoner of Polmont Young Offenders’ Institution, wilfully set fire to a pram and general waste in a common close area and common bin area; fire took effect and the pram was destroyed.

The blaze happened on December 11 last year at Annan Court in Coatbridge.

Prosecutor Annette Ward said: “The common close area was filled with smoke and blocked the exit for residents.”

At the time of Sewell’s reckless actions he was out on five separate bail orders in a year.

Ms Ward added: “The amount of damage caused came to £14,000.

“Two children, aged two and three, were taken to Monklands Hospital to be checked out for the effects of smoke inhalation.”

Defence lawyer Roberto Manini said: “He is at a complete loss to why he did this and what could have had horrific consequences. He has no recollection of the incident whatsoever.

“Despite his age he is aware the only outcome is a custodial sentence.”

Sheriff Petra Collins called for a full social background report and tagging order assessment and deferred sentence until this Friday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.