Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
Matthew Hendrickson

Teenager charged with murder in West Pullman shooting

Nashaun Johnson and a 15-year-old relative snuck up on the two men as they sat in the car in the 12200 block of South Eggleston Avenue and opened fire on the night of Nov. 21, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday. | Sun-Times file

A 17-year-old boy is facing charges as adult in a shooting that left one man dead and another wounded in West Pullman last month.

Nashaun Johnson and a 15-year-old relative snuck up on the two men on Nov. 21 as they sat in a car in the 12200 block of South Eggleston Avenue and opened fire, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.

Devon Wash, 32, and a 34-year-old man were shot multiple times, but the older victim was able to drive away to Roseland Hospital, where Wash was pronounced dead.

Johnson later told detectives that he and his relative shot the two men over a dispute his relative had with them, prosecutors said.

The 15-year-old boy has not been charged.

Thirty minutes before the shooting, a surveillance camera at a Citgo gas station at 123rd and Halsted streets recorded the teens inside when the 34-year-old victim came into the station and bought cigarettes, prosecutors said. About 15 minutes later, a Ring doorbell camera allegedly recorded the teens as they walked east on 123rd Street and turned into an alley.

The teens then doubled back through the alley before firing at least 25 rounds into the vehicle, prosecutors said.

The 34-year-old victim saw the faces of the two teenagers as he drove away. He recognized the pair because they often hung out at the Citgo station, prosecutors said. The man later identified both teens by name and in photo arrays, prosecutors said.

Johnson was taken into custody Monday and told detectives that he knew the two victims often stayed at a home on the street where the shooting took place, prosecutors said. Johnson allegedly said his teen relative had told him earlier that day that he planned to shoot them, so they both armed themselves.

Johnson, who lives with his grandmother in the city, had “little to no contact” with his parents and dropped out of school after the ninth grade, an assistant public defender said.

Judge Charles Beach ordered Johnson held without bail for first-degree murder and aggravated battery.

He is expected back in court Jan. 6.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.