A teenager has admitted murdering a 16-year-old by chasing and stabbing him on a beach.
Kayden Moy, from East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, died following the incident on Irvine beach in North Ayrshire a year ago.
Jay Stewart, 18, and a 15-year-old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons are on trial accused of murdering Kayden on May 17, 2025 while acting along with Cole Turley.
Jurors were sworn in at the High Court in Glasgow on Tuesday and were told Turley, 18, had previously pleaded guilty to the murder charge.
Stewart and the 15-year-old deny all charges against them and have lodged special defences of incrimination.
It is alleged that while acting along with Turley, they pursued Kayden, causing him to fall to the ground, and repeatedly stabbed him on the body with a knife, leaving him so badly injured that he died.
Stewart and the 15-year-old face a number of other charges.
Stewart is accused of having a knife or similar instrument and the 15-year-old of having a knife on May 17 last year.
They are also accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice over four days between May 17 and 21 in Irvine, East Kilbride and elsewhere.
It is alleged they wiped a knife on the ground to remove blood and later hid knives in a divan bed frame and a freezer.
Prosecutors also allege they discarded their blood-stained clothing, phoned someone and asked them to retrieve and burn the clothes, and changed into alternative clothing.
They are also accused of challenging others to fight and brandishing knives and a baton or similar instruments at Irvine beach on May 17 last year.
It is also alleged they “culpably and recklessly” threw rocks at members of the public there, placing them in danger of injury.
Judge Lord Scott charged the jury on Tuesday afternoon.
He told them: “This case must be decided by you the jury on the basis of the evidence in court.”
The trial was adjourned for the day and will continue on Wednesday.