Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
World
Jane Lavender

Teen tour guide's horrifying injuries after being caught up in exploding volcano

It was a perfect summer's day on New Zealand's White Island as a boat load of tourists arrived to look at the awe-inspiring volcano that gives the rocky crop its name.

Then, at just after 2pm on December 9 last year, the first rumblings were heard as the active volcano burst into explosive life.

It erupted, spewing lava across the landscape and ash more than two miles into the air.

The 47 people, tourists and tour guides, were horrified as the scene of destruction exploded in front of them.

They had nowhere to run as they tried to flee the scorching debris and rocks pouring out of the volcano.

The ash from the White Island volcano eruption went many miles into the air (INSTAGRAM @ALLESSANDROKAUFFMANN)

Even though the eruption seemed to come totally out of the blue, there had been chilling warning signs that the volcano was about to explode.

Six days before volcanologists had warned about increasing tremor levels, unrest and gas at White Island volcano, which attracts 18,000 visitors every year.

The last eruption was three years earlier but had happened at night when the island was deserted. 

On December 3, the alert level had been raised to level two, which is the highest a volcano can be unless it erupts.

Out of those on the island that day - with New Zealanders, Australians, Americans, Germans, two Brits, Chinese, and one Malaysian visitor on the White Island - a total of 21 people lost their lives because of the eruption.

Tragically 21 people lost their lives in the eruption (REUTERS)

Almost all of those survived were left with horrifying and agonising injuries, including 19-year-old tour guide, Jake Milbank.

The teenager had been celebrating his birthday on the day of the eruption - and for days and weeks afterwards his life hung in the balance as he battled to survive.

Jake spent four months in hospital, covered almost head to foot in bandages after suffering 80 percent burns to his body.

He was kept in coma for two weeks and had to have a gruelling 25 operations on his agonising burnt and blistered skin.

But Jake was adamant he was never going to give up and despite still facing a long road to recovery is now and out of hospital and rehabilitating with his family.

Jake was a fit and healthy tour guide before the eruption (jake_milbank/Instagram)

But life will never be the same for the teenager, something he is coming to terms with, as he recovers with the help of his parents and sister.

Jake told Newshub : "Things like putting your socks on and off, you don't think of that being a very big thing until you can't do it.

"Having to have someone else there to put your shoes on and off is a lot different to what you're used to."

And one of the hardest things for Jake to adjust to is that he will have to change his day-to-day routine for the rest of his life.

He can no longer reach his arms over his head, or touch the ground, which has taken some getting used to for the previously fit and healthy tour guide.

Jake is also still haunted by terrifying memories on what happened on the tragic day last December.

He said: "Of course I was frightened a little bit... but it all came down to that fight or flight kind of thing.

"You know what you've got to do to survive and that was all I was really thinking about doing at the time."

Jake, along with several other survivors, was rescued by the tour boat The Phoenix and has vivid memories of forcing himself to stay awake to keep himself alive as they travelled back to the mainland.

But they his memories of arriving in the hospital become hazy.

Jake is now back home but knows his day to day life will change beyond all recognition (Jake Millbank/Instagram)
Jake would still like to return to the island one day (Jake Millbank/Instagram)

Jake explained: "I don't really remember much after that other than waking up in ICU and having a lot of tubes hanging out of my nose.

"I was in a coma for two weeks and when I did come out of the coma I was on a lot of different drugs so I wasn't quite there for the first month."

And Jake's friends, family and even total strangers helped him to stay positive throughout the early days of his ordeal by organising a fundraising page.

The Give A Little page has already raised more than £75,000 to help with his recovery.

Jake said: "I definitely didn't expect the amount of support that we did get - it's awesome to see people from all over the world took time out of their days to let me know they're there for me."

The 19-year-old has also made every effort to stay in touch with the brave people who rescued him, along with his fellow survivors as they face rebuilding their lives after the harrowing incident.

And one thing Jake is determined to do is return to the island where he suffered his horrific injuries, although he admits he might not get so close this time round.

 
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.