Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Holly Evans & Charlie Duffield

Teen died after accidentally falling from 15th-floor balcony during party with friends

A teenager who was "at the happiest point in his life" tragically fell from a 15th floor balcony after disappearing during a party, an inquest has heard.

In the hours before dying in the accident at a high rise building in Southall, 18-year-old Sheik Muhammad Yasher Aumeer had been "happy and laughing".

But his body was discovered just after 8am the following morning, when another resident opened the balcony blinds and found his lifeless body.

His friends had congregated for a small party on April 27 and noticed his disappearance.

However, they thought he might have travelled home, My London reports.

A court said that Sheik had moved from Mauritius at the age of three, but had been taken into care after experiencing physical abuse and neglect at a young age.

Sheik was described as a 'happy' and 'determined' teenager who was enjoying his job as an administrator (Gofundme)

Over the coming years, he spent time at a number of placements in Hillingdon, Harrow and Essex but was often moved due to his "challenging behaviour".

However at the age of 16, he succeeded in "turning his life around" by becoming a business administrator and he began searching for a place of his own.

A statement from his family said: "Sheik became a totally changed person from who he was in his childhood. He became more mature and the way he talked was more mature than before. He liked to look after himself, he always bought himself products in Bodyshop and took care of his clothes."

Earlier that day, he had spent time with his friend Tia Jones and had visited two properties with the prospect of moving in.

Speaking from the witness box, Tia said: "He was ecstatic. The first flat wasn't the nicest but the second was everything he could've wanted. He was the bubbliest person you could ever meet."

The two travelled by Uber to an address at Ashwell House where they met with four others and began to drink alcohol.

Between 8pm and 10pm, the group consumed MDMA and took nitrous oxide, with Tia telling the court that Sheik had been "happy" and that nothing of concern had been noted.

Another witness, Bailey Holland-Knightley said that earlier in the evening, Sheik had been sat on the balcony railings with his back to a brick wall.

She warned him against sitting there, concerned that he could fall, and he heeded her warning and returned inside the party where they continued to drink and listen to music.

However at 10:30pm, the occupants on a lower floor overheard a "loud bang" on their balcony while watching television.

The occupant glanced outside the window to check for intruders, but due to the poor lighting, did not notice Sheik's body.

Over the coming hours, Sheik's friend Tia had sent him a number of messages asking about his whereabouts.

They had noticed that his shoes remained in the hallway and his rucksack was in the bathroom, but the group came to the conclusion that he must have left the gathering and travelled home.

The following morning, the occupants of a nearby flat discovered the teenager's lifeless body after opening the blinds to their balcony door.

Emergency services were contacted at 8.12am and Sheik was pronounced dead at the scene, with Metropolitan Police officers initiating a search of the building.

After hearing from a downstairs neighbour that a party had gone on until the early hours, officers attended and knocked a number of times, but were not permitted entry.

After starting to force entry, they were met with "hostility" by the occupants, who informed them that no one was missing from their group.

They were warned not to look over the balcony railings, but decided to do so and discovered Sheik's body.

At that time, Ms Jones said she was in "shock", while another said she phoned her mum crying.

Detective Inspector Paul Buckley said: "For a young person that might be quite a shock. As officers you get quite blase about stuff like that because you deal with it on a daily basis but for a young person to realise your friend is now deceased on the balcony below, I imagine that was shocking for the young people there."

With the police continuing to conduct their enquiries, the group left the accommodation but later returned and gave full statements from the police.

DI Buckley said that following an examination of the scene and Sheik's injuries, his death was deemed non-suspicious and third party involvement was ruled out.

Of the group at the party, all confirmed that they had not seen Sheik on the balcony nor had they seen anyone else enter or leave the property during this time.

When questioned about his prolonged absence, they said that despite it being about of character, they assumed he must have travelled home.

A post-mortem examination found evidence of MDMA and ethanol and his official cause of death was given as 1a) multiple injuries and 2) ecstasy.

Coroner Anton Van Dellen said: "I heard very touching evidence from Sheik's family about his early years. What struck me was how difficult a time he had with a number of placements in different parts of the country.

"I don't underestimate someone like him, who was bright, cheerful and engaging, how difficult that period must have been for him. Many people who are looked after children, they often struggle once they turn 18 and move on and very fortunately, Sheik was not one of those. To his credit, he obtained a job in business administration, was clearly working well at work and I have no doubt would have had a very right future in front of him.

"It's very clear to me how very much loved he was and he had matured into a young man who brought a lot of joy and happiness to those around him. This all makes his tragic loss all the more heart-breaking."

He noted: "I am firmly of the view that Sheik was not accosted and did not commit suicide and I accept the evidence of DI Buckley which he said it was likely that Sheik had accidentally fallen to his death while intoxicated."

He concluded that the most appropriate lawful conclusion was accidental death.

In his memory, a GoFundMe was organised to raise money to build a well in the drought-hit regions of Bangladesh and Pakistan.

A description read: "The passing of our beloved Sheik, has left us all devastated and in disbelief.

"We are fortunate enough to have been a part of his short yet beautiful life, to testify both his inner and outer beauty.

"He has always been a determined and bright young man, and it was a pleasure to work with him and see him mature into the person he dreamt of becoming.

'To honour his memory we are fundraising to build a well in SheikÃÃâs name. The Prophet PBUH said that the greatest form of Charity is to give someone water.'

To donate, follow the link here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.