Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - US
The Guardian - US
World
Ben Jacobs in Lamoni, Iowa

Ted Cruz breaks silence on 'horrific' Planned Parenthood attack

A police car blocks the entrance to the Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs where a gunman opened fire on Friday, killing three people.
A police car blocks the entrance to the Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs where a gunman opened fire on Friday, killing three people. Photograph: STRINGER/Reuters

Texas senator Ted Cruz has become the first Republican presidential candidate to directly address the fatal shooting of three people at Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado, calling the attack “horrific”.

Speaking in Lamoni, Iowa, Cruz said that while the motives behind Friday’s attack were not clear, “it was unacceptable, horrific and wrong”.

“We know that police officers and civilians have been targeted and lost their lives and our prayers are right now are with the families,” Cruz said.

Many of the party’s candidates have come out strongly against Planned Parenthood on the campaign trail as they seek to secure conservative votes.

One police officer, Garrett Swasey, and two other civilians were killed and nine others were wounded in the attack. The suspect Robert Lewis Dear, 57, has been taken into custody.

Law enforcement was still investigating whether opposition to abortion motivated the attack on the Planned Parenthood clinic. The non-profit group has been controversial in recent months after videos were released that purportedly showed the group selling fetal organs for profit. Planned Parenthood has disputed the accuracy of those videos.

Cruz said: “I have spent much of my adult life working in law enforcement, working against murderers and those who commit violent crime, and that one officer who lost his life is particularly tragic.”

Cruz became the first Republican presidential hopeful to address the attacks in person. The Texas senator had previously tweeted about the attack earlier on Saturday. In contrast, all three Democratic presidential candidates have issued statements about the attack, as has Barack Obama.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.