Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
National
Luke Costin

Tears after NSW Boxing Day murder denial

Shaun Garry Johnson has pleaded not guilty to murder and will face trial in Newcastle next year. (AAP)

A relative of a man fatally stabbed at a Boxing Day gathering in suburban Newcastle last year has wept as his alleged killer pleaded not guilty to murder.

Steven O'Brien, 50, died from stab wound to his neck about midnight on December 27, 2019, despite receiving attention from paramedics and hospital staff.

Shaun Garry Johnson, arrested near the scene of the stabbing in Mayfield, faced the NSW Supreme Court on Friday and was asked how he pleaded to a charge of murder.

"Not guilty," the 37-year-old replied.

The plea prompted a family member watching proceedings online to immediately throw her hands to her face and weep.

"He's not raising a partial defence," lawyer Mark Ramsland told the court.

"Put simply, the case is he says he did not commit the offence."

A three-week trial was set for October 5 in Newcastle.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.