Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Entertainment
Nathan Fenno

Taylor Swift cancels all 2020 concerts

The first major event scheduled at SoFi Stadium won't take place.

Taylor Swift, whose concerts July 25 and 26 would have opened the $5-billion stadium in Los Angeles, postponed all her live appearances for the remainder of the year Friday because of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

"Fighting COVID-19 is an unprecedented challenge for our global community and the safety and well-being of fans should always be the top priority," the singer-songwriter said in a statement.

Swift was billed as the first woman to perform the opening concert at an NFL stadium.

The postponed concerts will be rescheduled for 2021, the statement said.

Construction on the venue, which will house the LA Rams and Chargers, has continued despite the pandemic. California Gov. Gavin Newsom categorized construction as an essential critical infrastructure when he issued his stay-at-home order last month.

Two workers on the project have tested positive for COVID-19. Turner-AECOM Hunt, the joint venture overseeing construction, has instituted numerous safety procedures, including temperature checks for anyone entering the site, extra restrooms, hand-washing stations and social distancing protocols.

In a statement, SoFi Stadium said the project "remains focused on having a safe and healthy environment for all, now and when we open."

The next event on the stadium's schedule is Kenny Chesney's concert Aug. 1.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.