Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
Politics
POST REPORTERS

Tarit not guilty of defaming Suthep

Former Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdith and four other individuals and companies have been cleared of defaming former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban in connection with the police station construction scandal.

The four other defendants were Worasak Prayoonsook, editor of Matichon newspaper, Suriwong Aurepatipan, editor of Khaosod newspaper, Matichon Pcl and Khaosod Pcl.

Mr Suthep took legal action after a series of press conferences held by Mr Tarit from Feb 27 to March 5, 2013, in which he suggested the then deputy premier was ultimately responsible for the failure of a multi-billion baht project to build 396 police stations.

The Criminal Court Thursday said Mr Tarit, who served as DSI chief at the time, had the right to hold the press conferences to examine or raise doubts over irregularities in the project as it had drawn huge public attention.

As for the four other defendants, the court said the two editors and the newspapers merely published what Mr Tarit said with the aim of criticising Mr Suthep fairly given his position in the government.

Their act was in line with their duty as members of the media, the court said.

The four had no conflicts with Mr Suthep, so there was no reason for them to exploit the media to attack the then deputy prime minister, the court noted.

In 2013, the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) set up a panel to determine if Mr Suthep had breached Section 157 of the Criminal Code by committing misconduct or dereliction of duty regarding his handling of the 6.67 billion baht project to construct the 396 police stations under the Democrat Party-led government.

Many police stations were left unfinished when PCC Development & Construction, the sole contractor, allegedly abandoned the project.

According to an NACC probe, Mr Suthep authorised a change in the terms of reference which led to the project being awarded to the firm in 2009.

Mr Suthep later denied the accusations in testimony before the commission in 2015, insisting he had followed a cabinet resolution and guidelines when undertaking the project. He said construction delays were not his fault, adding it was more a matter of poor management and coordination between the Royal Thai Police and the contractor.

NACC secretary-general Worawit Sookboon told the Bangkok Post last month that the NACC has nearly completed its probe into the scandal.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.