Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Entertainment
Tracy Swartz

Double Door eviction case likely heading to trial as talks stall

May 13--The fate of the Double Door will likely be decided by trial next week as talks between attorneys for the Wicker Park club and its landlord stalled Friday.

The attorneys met with Cook County Circuit Court Judge Orville Hambright Jr. in a last-ditch effort to work out possession of 1572 N. Milwaukee Ave., where Double Door has operated for more than 20 years. A resolution wasn't reached, but both sides agreed to continue to talk before Wednesday's scheduled trial.

Landlord Brian Strauss has been trying to evict Double Door since the club's lease expired Oct. 31. At issue is whether the club's management properly notified Strauss it wished to extend its lease.

Club co-owner Sean Mulroney said he mailed a letter requesting a lease extension more than 180 days before the lease expired, as required.

Under the lease, Double Door management was required to fax the letter, personally deliver it or send it by certified mail. Double Door attorney Cary Schiff said in court last month the letter was not sent by certified mail. Strauss' attorneys said he didn't receive the letter.

Double Door, which opened its doors in 1994, has shows booked into September, according to its online calendar. The club went through a similar court battle in 2005 before an agreement was reached.

RELATED STORIES:

Double Door, landlord heading to trial in eviction case

Double Door's landlord seeks more money per month amid eviction case

Double Door back in court over eviction complaint; no decision made

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.