12.10pm Dandino forced to miss the Melbourne Cup
Tony Paley: The Marco Botti-trained Dandino has been pulled out of the Melbourne Cup after suffering a setback in training.
The Newmarket-based seven-year-old had been due to run in the world famous race following his fifth in the event last year, but after missing last Saturday’s Caulfield Cup due to lameness, he will now also miss the November 4 feature.
Dandino, part-owned by Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock, is reported to have suffered a soft-tissue related injury but ATB’s Darren Dance is unsure of future plans, with retirement a possible option.
“Friday week we will close that off and know what we are doing,” he told http://www.thecourier.com.au.
“It’s hard to know [what we will do] because I don’t know what the owners want to do. I’d like to give (racing) another go, but I’m only a shareholder.”
ATB will still have a Cup runner though as Seismos, who finished 15th in the Caulfield Cup, is set to take his chance.
“We bought him for the Melbourne Cup so that’s his race. Flemington is his track and it doesn’t matter whether it’s wet or dry,” Dance said.
Johnny Murtagh has booked Damien Oliver to ride his Ebor winner Mutual Regard in the big race.
“I was starting to get concerned when I didn’t have one [a Melbourne Cup ride] and when Johnny rang me on Sunday I was really pleased to take the ride,” Oliver told racing.com.
“Obviously he’s a good stayer. The Ebor is traditionally a good form-guide for the Melbourne Cup. And without a stand-out Melbourne Cup horse this year, I think he’s got a good chance. He’s in good form, Johnny is a good trainer; he’s been down here and experienced the Cup, so he knows what type of horse is needed. So I don’t think he would have brought him all this way if he didn’t think he had a real chance.”
12.05pm Henderson appointed new Ascot supremo
Guy Henderson has been appointed as the new chief executive of Ascot racecourse.
Henderson, who is currently chairman of Wincanton, succeeds the retiring Charles Barnett and will assume the post in January.
He said: “I am very excited to have the opportunity to serve such an iconic British racecourse and its stakeholders.
“Charles Barnett’s tremendous achievements as chief executive will be a difficult act to follow and I am very fortunate to have the benefit of his experience when I begin in January.
“I am really looking forward to starting work with Ascot’s outstanding team in the New Year and becoming fully immersed in the sport and industry I love.”
Henderson was an international business lawyer and equity partner with the global law firm Allen & Overy for over 30 years and is an overseas racing member of the Hong Kong Jockey Club.
He was also chair of The Horse Trust, the UK’s leading funder of research and educational projects to benefit equine welfare, between 2007 and 2013 and has been involved in racing as an owner for nearly 10 years.
Johnny Weatherby, chairman at Ascot, said: “The board is delighted to be announcing Guy’s appointment. He has had an outstanding career as a commercial lawyer demonstrating skills ideally suited to the multi-faceted role that chief executive of Ascot now demands.
“He also has a longstanding interest in racing as a racegoer, owner and most recently as a board member and now as chairman of Wincanton Racecourse.
“Guy has the skills and experience to build on the legacy that Charles Barnett will leave.
“Under Charles’s leadership, Ascot has become Europe’s undisputed flagship racecourse and Guy’s brief is to build on this success by further enhancing our sporting and commercial operations. Charles’s expertise will be available to Guy during the handover period.” PA
Wednesday’s best bets, by Greg Wood
The most valuable race at Newmarket on Two-Year-Old Day this afternoon is, oddly, the £20,000 handicap for three-year-olds and up at the end of the eight-race card, but the seven juvenile events beforehand are all interesting contests and Dark Kingdom (4.00) looks like the one to be on in the first division of the nursery.
Ed Walker’s colt made a positive start to his racing career when successful over seven furlongs at Chepstow last month, and did so in a decent time too, which makes his opening mark of 75 look fairly generous. Few of those with more experience bring better form to the table and Dark Kingdom should find a fair bit of progress with his debut behind him.
Sixteen go to post in the opening maiden but Pamono (1.30) is the clear pick on form, while Fannaan (3.45) is another maiden winner who looks sure to improve. No Poppy (5.25) may be the answer in the closing race, while Never To Be (8.55) stands out on the card at Kempton Park this evening.
Tipping competition, day three
Our winners so far:
Monday
Prince Gagarin 4-1
Seventh Sky 13-2
Madam Lilibet 7-1
Tuesday
Court By Surprise 11-2
Thundering Home 25-1
Amadeus Wolfe Tone 14-1
And our leaders are:
Ellandback +16.50
Lindsey6677 +16.50
... who were already in profit before finding Amadeus Wolfe Tone. Four others also picked that one.
Today, we’d like your tips, please, for these races: 4.45 Fontwell, 5.25 Newmarket, 7.55 Kempton.
This week’s prize is a pair of tickets to Sandown’s first jumps meeting of the new season on Saturday 8 November. It’s Gentlemen’s Day, with live music from Rockaoke (who offer you the chance to join in, apparently) and a best-dressed gent competition. You can read more about it and buy tickets here.
As ever, our champion will be the tipster who returns the best profit to notional level stakes of £1 at starting price on our nominated races, of which there will be three each day up until Friday. Non-runners count as losers. If you have not joined in so far this week, you are welcome to do so today, but you will start on -6.
In the event of a tie at the end of the week, the winner will be the tipster who, from among those tied on the highest score, posted their tips earliest on the final day.
For terms and conditions click here.
Good luck!
Click here for all the day’s racecards, form, stats and results.
And post your tips or racing-related comments below.