Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Takeaway.com says Just Eat takeover timetable delayed due to UK probe

FILE PHOTO: Signage for Just Eat is seen on the window of a restaurant in London, Britain, August 5, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Netherlands-based meal delivery company Takeaway.com said the expected timetable for its takeover of British rival Just Eat would be delayed by a week after UK competition authorities said it would look at the deal.

Earlier this month, Just Eat's shareholders agreed to the all-stock deal valued at 6.2 billion pounds ($8.2 billion) over a rival bid from tech investment giant Prosus NV.

Takeaway.com said in a statement on Friday that Just Eat would be renamed Just Eat Takeaway.com on Jan. 31 and trading in the company's shares will commence under the new name with effect from Feb.3.

FILE PHOTO: The app for Just Eat is displayed on a smartphone in this posed picture in London, Britain, August 5, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

Britain's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) confirmed on Thursday it believed a probe into the deal may be warranted.

The CMA said on Friday it was seeking comment on the deal from interested parties by Feb. 6.

(This story fixes typo in third paragraph)

(Reporting by Sarah Young; editing by James Davey)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.